In a world of Chocolates: Heels of Success : #1
After the overwhelming success of my previous blog: Heels of Success, I knew I couldn’t leave it just there. It sparked my curiosity, and it compelled me to explore deeper on the ground. Several ladies reached out to me, showering their love and appreciation. Some could resonate, and some told me it triggered a chord in their hearts. Armed with gratitude and blessings, I had a task ahead.
As Paulo Coelho says, “When you want something, the entire universe
conspires to help you achieve it.” I guess I had my heart in the right place. A
door opened for me. I met someone who could trust me with their story and
journey.
So here we are to take a peek inside the life story of the Mombasa based
wonder woman Khadija Yusuf, the founder and owner of the brand called Arwa’s
Delicious Chocolates. (ADC). Yes, she is the same one, with the infectious
smile. Let’s dive right into it:
How did you come up with this brand?
It was December; the kids had a long holiday ahead. I wanted to use this time and teach my older girl Arwa, a skill, so I started teaching her how to make simple basic chocolates. It was the most unforgettable time of my life, because of the bonding we shared, her enthusiasm to learn the craft. That sparked a lot of interest from family and friends. The chocolates were turning out to be so good. So, an idea struck why not sell it? The foundation had been laid; an idea was conceived. Once School resumed, I took over the reins, and now there is no looking back. We now have a diverse range of chocolates, with different fillings and flavours, bars with edible designs, different versions of paan (betel leaf) chocolates, paan shots, and paan dates, creamy chocolate dates with unique twists. I even came up with my version of baklavas, some with pistachios, cheesecake, Nutella & caramel nests, chocolate tarts. You have got to taste it to believe it!
When you came up with this idea, what
were your strengths, challenges?
My biggest strength was my belief in God. I had full faith. When you work
from the heart, when you do things, you are passionate about, nobody can deny
you success. And of course, my daughter, who stood by me throughout. I also got
an award, as the best entrepreneur in the Pwani Golden awards, which took place
in Mombasa. That cherished moment, what I felt, is unexplainable. It was an
achievement. A moment so close to my heart.
Chocolate making is an art. It takes a lot of time, plus I am running a one
man show. I am confident of my products, of the quality. I make the chocolates
on an order basis, so the price plays a big factor here. It’s challenging on
this front sometimes.
Where do you see yourself in the next
one year?
I want to introduce more varieties, perhaps, known as the most famous
chocolatier. (Laughter).
People love my product. I don’t want to let them down. I want them to make their every occasion special with Arwa’s delicious chocolates. Be it a wedding, engagement, baby showers, birthdays. We want to be a part of you!
What message do you have for women
out there?
Every woman is special. Whether you are a mom, wife, daughter, sister. You
need to be yourself first. You are special. Follow your heart, do what makes
you happy. If you need help ask, but don’t give up. The sky has no limit!
What else apart from chocolates?
There was a time I fell sick, it was bad. That was the turning point in my
life. I realized life is too short to hold grudges. We have to live to the
fullest. I saw many people around me struggling, lonely. Because I am such an
extrovert, people are drawn towards me. I am blessed with it. People talk to
me. I realized that was my strength.
I wanted to make a difference, touch lives, and that was the beginning of my
journey to give motivational talks in schools and events. My aunt taught me
laughter yoga, I would make people do it. It gave me so much satisfaction. This
was like giving back to the community, to the people. It made me complete.
I took so much with me by the time we ended the conversation. It made me think
things from a fresh perspective. The ride is bumpy, life is unpredictable, but
we have to make the most of it and yes it didn’t not come with a manual.
And if you are amongst those who are yet to take a step, remember your destiny is waiting for you. Just a dash of courage and faith, with just the right spices of passion, you can do it!
If you have a story to share, if you believe you can make a difference,
please reach out to me on sarrahkaps@gmail.com.
Please enjoy this article with freshly brewed masala chai, infused with cardamom.
“Think like a queen. A queen is not afraid
to fail. Failure is another steppingstone to greatness.” Oprah
“There is no limit to what we, as
women, can accomplish.” Michelle Obama
“Stay true to yourself and your
vision. Don’t let any one person’s opinion move you; listen but be confident.”
Amanda Kahlow
Cheers!
Sarrah Murtaza
Comments
Post a Comment