The Sprouting Buds!
Eyes are the window to the soul, as they say, and children are the purest beings, innocent, unbiased, loving, kind and caring. Do you ever wonder what goes in their little mind as they grasp the “growing up” phase? We all lead busy lives and, in the hustle and bustle of earning our livelihoods, we tend to overlook a lot of things. Imagine coming back home from a hectic schedule. All you want to do is to sit down and relax. But the minute you enter home, your little one who probably has waited for you the whole day, dying to show you their red little star on the hand, and if we have had a bad day, we just snap, just to regret it later or you kiss their little cheeks and tell them you are so proud of them, see their little hearts swell in pride, a definite confidence booster attitude. You get full marks, boss!
Now the purpose of this article is not to guilt trip you! Instead, it is trying to understand the world from the eyes of the child. Sometimes they struggle with the right things to say or express themselves verbally, but they have to let out what is going on inside them and they unleash it using various forms of arts, drawings, colouring, role play, writing, designing, moulding, experimenting.
Now I am really excited about this one, beautiful peeps! Just recently a little girl showed me one of her drawings in a social setting and guys believe me, I have become her fan! That inspired me to write this article. Our children are loaded with creativity. They use art as a form of self- expression, and their choice of colours, words and action denotes their inner well-being. And honestly, we are not talking about the perfect art, lines or symmetrical shapes. It’s all about their thought process, their perception, and their expression, which is beautiful. We really need to let our kids explore, make use of their sensory organs, play in the sand, or conduct a science lab on your perfectly tiled kitchens (with supervision).
So, allow me to introduce to you the budding artists within my radius, and our future of tomorrow, the very talented stars. With all the pomp and flair, a bit of drum roll, let’s take a peek into the lives of our budding artists. All they need is wings to fly!
Nisreen Bhaijee
A 10-year-old at Jeffrey Academy, Mombasa, a student in grade four. There was something about this young lady which drew me to her. I liked her confidence and her ability to express herself. She was very clear about what she wants in life. So full of life and down to earth. A kind and a loving girl. She's the kind of the girl whom you put in a group of strangers and the last thing you know; she has befriended them all. She's someone who's dependable, innocent and trusts people easily, sometimes in the process, getting hurt. And if you ever need a shoulder, you will find her the first in the line.
Here is what she has to say.
“I love arts! My favourite colour is Blue. Everyone in my family is an artist. My art teacher, Ms Natasha, always encouraged me to draw and not be afraid. My mummy is my inspiration! She always tells me that if you believe in yourself, then you can achieve anything. When I grow up, I want to be a dentist during the weekdays and a DJ during the weekend.”
Lamiya Hussein
A nine and half year old at Aga khan Primary School, Mombasa, a student in grade four. A quiet and intelligent girl, there’s a hint of maturity when she speaks. You can tell from the way she pauses and reflects on her words during a conversation. She exudes confidence. This could be due to her holding leadership roles in her school life. She has the knack of creating something beautiful out of anything. And an excellent hula hooper. Here is what she has to say.
"I was drawn to art from a very young age. I have always loved watching videos on creative arts. Drawing, painting and decorating things is my passion. My art box contains all my materials and artwork. My mummy has always encouraged me. She provides me with all the materials I need. She is my biggest cheerleader, my inspiration. My mother says, in life never give up! I love blue and green colours. My favourite subjects are art & craft and english. When I grow up, I want to pursue art.”
Nooriya Juzer
A nine-year-old at Aga khan Primary School, Mombasa, a student in grade four. Have you ever met people whom you just meet once and instantly like them? That is Nooriya for you. There’s a certain warmth in her, a bubbly girl. She’s not one to shy away easily. There’s an element of positivity in her. Here is what she has to say.
“When I am free, I love dressing up my dolls, designing clothes for them. I also love to draw and paint. I watch my mummy and I want to be like her. My mother is my inspiration. She always encourages me to keep on trying. She says, you can do it! My favourite colours are aqua and turquoise. I also love science and singing too. When I grow up, I want to be a heart surgeon.”
Batul Mohammed.
A twelve-year-old at Little Flower School, Mombasa, a student in grade six. A quiet and thoughtful girl. She takes time to come out of her comfort zone, but when she does, she becomes your friend. A very well-behaved girl with a hint of maturity. This is what our ever-smiling girl has to say.
“I love drawing. I look at the pictures from a book and copy it. It’s my hobby, it makes me happy. My favourite colours are purple and pink. I love maths. When I grow up, I want to be a businesswoman. My parents are my inspiration, they support me in everything I do. My mummy says I should never give up.”
Daniyal Murtaza
Eight and half year old at Aga khan Primary School, Mombasa, a student in grade four. Daniyal is a very kind and a compassionate boy. He is the sort of kid who wouldn’t take things at face value. He does his own research and comes up with his own conclusions. A very imaginative, a deep thinker, observant boy. He has his own jokes and riddles book. He tries practising being a stand-up comedian. His favourite pass time is dressing up, wearing a helmet and gloves and conducts experiments in the kitchen (Under supervision). He is someone who thrives on leadership roles. Here is what he has to say.
“My favourite subjects are english and science. I have a diary and I write my feelings. I like to write, and I have a poem to share with you, it's about a bird we rescued, but it didn't survive.”
“Mummy, you are my inspiration! (Okay guys, I’m crying, someone get me a tissue). When I grow up, I want to be a detective or a police officer. I want to make the world free of the bad guys. Take your dream, armour it, and shoot right at the aim! That’s my motto.”
My heartfelt gratitude to all the little stars for sharing their work with me enthusiastically and to their parents for allowing me to be a part of their journey.
Every child is special, and they all need to be celebrated. Look around you. There might be a Picasso, Shakespeare, Michelangelo, and Einstein around you. Their little budding talent needs to be tapped, nurtured, and moulded. Their creativity is captured such that no matter what path they take, they always shine in their own light.
Reach out to me on sarrahkaps@gmail.com, if you feel you have an inspirational story to share.
Don’t forget to like, share and comment on my blog, if it has touched a piece of your heart.
If you can touch even one life, that’s a mission accomplished!
Enjoy this article with freshly brewed masala chai, infused with cardamoms. The enthralling aroma of tea brewing is just something else. And if you are fasting, like the way I am, have a blessed month.
Cheers!
Sarrah Murtaza
Sarrah Murtaza was born in Mombasa, Kenya. Her love for literature started at the age of four and illuminated with every passing year turning into a blooming passion. While reading and writing were the love of her life, finance became her goal. She studied ACCA and is currently running her own business. Her husband and her three wonderful boys are her world.
Self-published book by author on Amazon Kindle:


















Comments
Post a Comment